Think about doing the Rail Trail with an accompanying vehicle?
An accompanying vehicle is a great way to ‘widen’ the rail trail by enabling you to visit some truly remarkable off-trail places …
- Matakanui an almost ‘ghost town’ out of Omakau/Ophir or depending on time available, from Omakau/Ophir visit the Poolburn Dam that featured in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy)
- St Bathans out of Lauder, Oturehua and Wedderburn and a place to stay in its own right
- Naseby out of Wedderburn or Ranfurly/Waipiata and home of the ‘must-do’ year round indoor curling and a good choice of accommodation
- Danseys Pass/Kyeburn 25.5km north east of Naseby with accommodation and historic evidence of extensive goldmining
- Hamiltons/Patearoa & Paerau/Styx is goldmining history accessible from Ranfurly, Waipiata and Kokonga)
- Macraes Flat/Oceana Gold Mine is easily accessible from Hyde
- Of course, at opposite ends of the Rail Trail, Clyde/Alexandra and Middlemarch offer plenty of scope.
As for the accompanying vehicle driver, there’s no chance they’ll get bored with exploring opportunities galore, cafés, pubs and breath-taking scenery.