Macraes has New Zealand’s largest gold mine
Macraes township is 22km off the Rail Trail from Hyde. Stanley’s Hotel is located on the main street and is the hub of the community.
Macraes flat area and village of Macraes are named after John McRae who lived in the area from about 1859 to 1864 when he was employed as a shepherd involved in boundary keeping. Gold fever arrived in 1864 in Macraes and by 1865 there are 25 businesses in the village and the population had risen to approximately 500 people. The Second World War interrupted reef mining with only sporadic mining continuing on a reduced scale in later years.
Today with oceana Gold New Zealand Ltd operating the largest gold mine in New Zealand, approximately 300,000 oz of gold a year.
View Trail Forecast